ABC Feb. 13 signed a joint resolution outlining a partnership and commitment to free enterprise and the merit shop philosophy with Merit Canada, the voice of Canada's eight provincial open shop construction associations.
“ABC is thrilled to be working hand in hand with the Merit Canada to promote the merit shop philosophy and free enterprise,” said 2014 ABC National Chairman Dan Brodbeck, president and CEO of Compass Partners, LLC. “Together, we can address key issues relevant to construction contractors in North America, including developing our workforce and ensuring each worker returns home to his or her family at the end of the day by working toward world-class safety on every jobsite.”
“This joint resolution with ABC is a great opportunity to engage in cross-border cooperation to further our goals on important North American construction industry issues such as safety and workforce development,” said Merit Canada President Terrance Oakey. “Together, we can make great strides toward attracting and retaining top talent and keeping all of our members moving toward the goal of zero incidents on jobsites.”
In the joint resolution, both ABC and Merit Canada commit to:
- support the merit shop and free-enterprise philosophies;
- improve the construction industry and help contractors provide rewarding long-term careers for their employees in the construction industry;
- encourage and promote the safety and welfare of all employees in the construction industry;
- support government policies that encourage and facilitate the awarding of contracts without regard to protectionism;
- increase international business opportunities for firms and reduce barriers to the employment of workers outside their home countries should be reduced;
- provide services to the construction industry in both Canada and the U.S.; and
- work together to facilitate more effective service delivery for their respective members.