Employment at ABC and ABC Chapters
Return to Previous Page
Legislative and Political Affairs Assistant
ASSOCIATED BUILDERS AND CONTRACTORS - NATIONAL OFFICE
||Legislative and Political Affairs Assistant
||Vice President of Legislative & Political Affairs
Click here to apply online.
Founded in 1950, Associated Builders and Contractors (ABC) is a national construction industry trade association representing nearly 21,000 chapter members. Founded on the merit shop philosophy, ABC and its 70 chapters help members develop people, win work and deliver that work safely, ethically, profitably and for the betterment of the communities in which ABC and its members work. Visit us at www.abc.org.
The Legislative and Political Assistant works with legislative staff by collecting information on key legislative issues, distributing government affairs materials to congressional offices and ABC members. The Legislative and Political Assistant also works with political staff to assist with PAC contribution receipts and disbursements and coordination with contributors. They are also tasked with managing and facilitating several aspects of ABC’s annual Legislative Week.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
- Track federal legislation that affects ABC’s membership
- Attend hearings, events, and meetings on behalf of ABC
- Write and edit letters and other legislative and materials directed to high profile audiences
- Send and track correspondence to Capitol Hill and the Executive Branch on behalf of ABC
- Track and compile congressional voting records for every member of the U.S. House and Senate
- Help facilitate the ABC Legislative Committee meetings including organizing materials and supplying administrative needs.
- Facilitate PAC contributions and Prior Authorizations to the ABC PAC Portal and database
- Assist with aspects of ABC Travel teams including advance, research, and material development
- File quarterly LD-2 lobbying disclosure reports and bi-annual LD-203 contribution reports on behalf of ABC
- Assist with federal campaign finance disclosures for ABC PAC
- Assist ABC PAC and FEA with research, donor recognition, and campaign/candidate research
- Help facilitate the ABC PAC and FEA Committee meetings including organizing materials and supplying administrative needs
- Facilitate aspects of ABC’s annual Legislative Week:
- Administer ABC’s Eagle Award program every year following a federal election cycle
- Facilitate speaker and special guest communications processes from invitation to advance
- Track hundreds of meetings and events on Capitol Hill for ABC members, and attend with select group
- Assist Political team with ABC PAC Reception and the FEA reception.
- Assist Young Professional Symposium and Diversity and Inclusion Summit project managers with speaker communication processes
- Organize printed and digital materials include legislative week website
- Maintain the financial records for the ABC Legislative and Political teams
- Work alongside ABC Public Affairs department to write and facilitate columns for Newsline and Construction Executive
- Report progress on the Government Affairs team’s strategic goals in Leadership Update and the balanced scorecard
- Edit and update the ABC website and national connections with relevant legislative and political information
- Demonstrated use of intermediate computer operations (basic programming, relational databases and operating systems) and intermediate software packages.
- PAC and lobbying disclosure compliance experience.
- A minimum of a Bachelor's Degree (B.A.) from a four-year college or university.
- One (1) year of related working experience.
To achieve our mission, we hire energetic and fun-loving individuals who possess the following skills:
- Highly organized and able to manage, implement, and track multiple tasks and programs with strong attention to detail.
- Professional demeanor and presentation of self.
- Continuous process improvement mindset.
- Ability to organize and manage several priorities simultaneously while working under pressure and deadlines.
- Ability to work on a team and across departments to accomplish organizational goals.
- Writing and verbal skills.
- Self-starter, highly organized.
- Coordination of projects, meetings, and/or events a plus.
- Strong organization, multi-tasking and time management skills with the ability to work in a demanding self-directed work schedule.
- Effectively utilizes tools/resources to work efficiently.
- Ability to take ownership of a process and to use problem solving skills to resolve issues.
- Demonstrates the highest level of personal and ethical standards.
- Work accurately with close attention to detail.
- It is the continuing policy of ABC to take affirmative action to assure equal opportunity for all current and prospective employees without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, age, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, personal appearance, marital status, familial status, family responsibility, pregnancy or other pregnancy-related conditions, childbirth, disability, military/veteran status, citizenship status, religion or political affiliation, past convictions or incarceration, prior psychiatric treatment, or any other status protected by federal or state law, local ordinance or Executive Orders. ABC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- ADA: ABC will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.
- While performing the responsibilities of the position, the employee is required to talk and hear. The employee is often required to sit and use their hands and fingers, to handle or feel. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, reach with arms and hands, climb or balance, and to stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. Vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
- This position is performed in a typical office environment. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts and vehicles. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to moderate.
- Minimal overnight travel (up to 30%) by land and/or air.