||Wednesday, June 13, 2018
|| 2 p.m. (ET) / 1 p.m. (CT) / 12 p.m. (MT) / 11 a.m. (PT)
|| Michael D. Bellaman, President and CEO of Associated Builders and Contractors (ABC)
||Greg Sizemore, ABC Vice President of HSE and Workforce Development
On Oct. 6, 2017, Michael D. Bellaman, president and CEO of Associated Builders and Contractors (ABC), was appointed by U.S. Department of Labor Secretary R. Alexander Acosta to the Task Force on Apprenticeship Expansion
, created by President Trump’s Executive Order 13801.
ABC served on two of the four task force subcommittees—those charged with attracting business to apprenticeship and expanding access, equity and career awareness. The subcommittees offered numerous recommendations, which were detailed in the final apprenticeship report
issued on May 10.
Some of the recommendations in the final report include:
- Expansion of work-and-learn models
- National recognition and portability of credentials
- Strategies for affordability
- Greater industry and employer involvement
- Streamlined program funding
- Focus on areas of most acute skills shortage
- Raise apprenticeship awareness
- Eliminate operational inefficiencies
- Implement industry-recognized apprenticeship programs
ABC CEO Michael Bellaman and Greg Sizemore, ABC vice president of HSE and workforce development, will provide an overview of the final apprenticeship report and discuss other significant apprenticeship issues impacting merit shop contractors.