Washington, D.C. –
Associated Builders and Contractors (ABC) and Merit Canada Feb. 13 signed a joint resolution outlining their partnership agreement and commitment to free enterprise and the merit shop philosophy, under which construction contracts are awarded to construction companies based on merit.
“ABC is thrilled to be working hand in hand with the Merit Canada to promote the merit shop philosophy and free enterprise,” said 2014 ABC National Chairman Dan Brodbeck, president and CEO of Compass Partners, LLC. “Together, we can address key issues relevant to construction contractors in North America, including developing our workforce and ensuring each worker returns home to his or her family at the end of the day by working toward world-class safety on every jobsite.”
“This joint resolution with ABC is a great opportunity to engage in cross-border cooperation to further our goals on important North American construction industry issues such as safety and workforce development,” said Merit Canada President Terrance Oakey. “Together, we can make great strides toward attracting and retaining top talent and keeping all of our members moving toward the goal of zero incidents on jobsites.”
In the joint resolution, both ABC and Merit Canada commit to:
- support the merit shop and free-enterprise philosophies;
- improve the construction industry and help contractors provide rewarding long-term careers for their employees in the construction industry;
- encourage and promote the safety and welfare of all employees in the construction industry;
- support government policies that encourage and facilitate the awarding of contracts without regard to protectionism;
- increase international business opportunities for firms and reduce barriers to the employment of workers outside their home countries should be reduced;
- provide services to the construction industry in both Canada and the U.S.; and
- work together to facilitate more effective service delivery for their respective members.
Associated Builders and Contractors (ABC) is a national trade association representing 22,000 chapter members. Founded on the merit shop philosophy, ABC and its 70 chapters help members develop people, win work and deliver that work safely, ethically and profitably for the betterment of the communities in which they work.
Merit Canada is the national voice of Canada's eight provincial Open Shop construction associations. Together we represent the companies and workers who build more than 70 per cent of the Industrial, Commercial and Institutional, and residential construction projects coast to coast. As of June 2011, the Canadian construction sector employed 1.260 million Canadians with 900,000 working in the “open shop” sector. This represents almost 8.6% of Canada’s total labour force, and 33 per cent of the goods-manufacturing sector labour force. Visit us at Opportunitytowork.ca