Associated Builders and Contractors - National Office
||Chapter Development Manager
||Director of Chapter Development
TO APPLY: Click here to apply online.
ABC’s position descriptions are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the incumbent(s) of this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and activities required of the position. ABC’s position descriptions do not create a contract, express or imply, or other legal rights between ABC and any staff member, nor guarantee employment or specific duties for any specific duration. ABC may add, change, delete, suspend or discontinue any of these positions and descriptions at any time without prior notice.
Founded in 1950, Associated Builders and Contractors is a national association with 69 chapters representing more than 21,000 merit shop construction and construction-related firms. ABC’s membership represents all specialties within the U.S. construction industry and is comprised primarily of firms that perform work in the industrial and commercial sectors of the industry.
The Chapter Development Manager represents ABC philosophy, policy positions, programs and services to both chapters and members, while also providing support to assist chapters in their quest to be high performing. The Chapter Development manager provides training opportunities to chapter leadership and staff. The primary focus is volunteer management, membership, and education. The position works with volunteers and staff as change agents to enhance member value.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
- Compile and organize best practices in chapter governance activities, government affairs, membership, safety, and workforce development
- Assist chapters in implementing goals for membership, government affairs, governance, program development, workforce development and strategic planning
- Educate chapter staff and volunteer leaders on ABC programs, products, services, and events
- Assist in preparing and conducting board orientations and strategic planning sessions for chapters
- Assist chapters with identifying and building chapter development opportunities and provide ABC resources to accomplish each chapter’s developmental goals
- Participate and provide support for the chapter standards accreditation program
- Work with the Chapter Development staff to help chapters achieve minimum association requirements and outline paths to becoming a high performing organization
- Communicate with regular phone calls, travel schedule and reports
- Other duties as necessary and assigned
- Demonstrated facilitation and strategic planning experience with volunteer organizations
- Public speaking and the ability to clearly and concisely present information and solicit feedback
- Ability to research & analyze association management best practices
- Experience in setting and achieving measurable targets, managing resources, and coordinating between multiple stakeholders
- Bachelor’s degree at an accredited college or university, or equivalent work experience
- 3-5 years related work experience
To achieve our mission, we hire energetic and fun-loving individuals who possess the following skills:
- Available for extensive overnight travel (up to 50%) by land and/or air and close proximity to a regional/major airport
- May require working on weekends and holidays
- Ability to execute strategic goals
- Presentation and leadership skills
- Professional demeanor and presentation of self
- Ability to organize and manage several priorities simultaneously while working under pressure and deadlines
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
- Organizational awareness & resourcefulness - understanding of whom to engage in order to identify solutions & resolve issues
- Effectively utilizes tools/resources to work efficiently
- Ability to take ownership of a process
- Demonstrates the highest level of personal and ethical standards
- Work accurately with close attention to detail
- It is the continuing policy of ABC to take affirmative action to assure equal opportunity for all current and prospective employees without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, age, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, personal appearance, marital status, familial status, family responsibility, pregnancy or other pregnancy-related conditions, childbirth, disability, military/veteran status, citizenship status, religion or political affiliation, past convictions or incarceration, prior psychiatric treatment, or any other status protected by federal or state law, local ordinance or Executive Orders. ABC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- ADA: ABC will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.
- While performing the responsibilities of the Chapter Development Manager job, the employee is required to talk and hear. The employee is often required to sit and use their hands and fingers, to handle or feel. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, reach with arms and hands, climb or balance, and to stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. Vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
- When not performing work related travel, the Chapter Development Manager will maintain and work from a home office.